Monday, July 28, 2014

What do they actually sell in markets?

So if you've been following my blog, you've seen lots of photos of food markets - Mercado de San Miguel, Mercado de la Paz, and more. Obviously at food markets, they sell food. But there are also paintings markets and stamp markets and coin markets! But what about El Rastro - the biggest, most popular market in Madrid? What do they sell there?

I went to El Rastro again yesterday (in 98 degree heat, alongside thousands of other people, ugh) and focused on taking photos of the booths. I wanted to show you what is actually available in a market! The majority of my photos are from the main part of the market - the part that sells clothes and artisan crafts. However, there are also parts that sell tools, antiques, iPhone cases, soccer gear, etc. Those parts are toward the very bottom of the market in a separate plaza.  

So, here is a glimpse at what you can find at the main section of the Rastro market! Note that there are lots of other artisan stands, but I don't always feel comfortable photographing other peoples' "artwork." I do have a few photos of paintings from afar though. Enjoy!


Handmade leather goods are very popular in Spain





Tons of scarves!


I have a few of these posters - the guy writes your name on the bottom part!


I love these! These are from the Arabic stands - they are supposedly good luck


Reminiscent of my time in Granada with all of the Arabic shops


Lots of street musicians at El Rastro! This is Eva Sierra - you can find her on YouTube if you search



Don't forget to buy your handy gas mask?!

Bookmarks 


SO MUCH LEATHER!

Some more abanicos (fans) - Spaniards actually use these on a daily basis! ...which you would expect since it's been in the upper 90s all week

I went down a side street that had a focus on paintings. They are all so beautiful but so expensive (at least 30-40 euros a piece, which is about 40-55 USD)




My favorite, but also most expensive, artwork 

So, what do you think? And don't forget that whenever you go to a market, you must try to negotiate the price!

No comments:

Post a Comment